01
Wed, May

Absolutely Cherry-Picking

ERIC PREVEN'S NOTEBOOK

ERIC PREVEN’S NOTEBOOK - The LA City Ethics Commission met on Wednesday.  It was brutal.

There was a speaker who wanted to speak on all of the items and a general public comment, but the President of the five-person board,Jeffrey Darr, insisted that the speaker fill out a card.  Paul Krekorian who has not appointed a commissioner for nearly a year, wants to increase the board to seven persons.

Brown Act Speaker:  I'm going to mention again, that I have a state constitutional right to speak at this meeting. I've asked to speak on all items.

From left to right, Jane Doe, John Doe and Attorney who should know better, Jeffrey Daar.

 Jeffrey Daar, President of LA City Ethics Commission: You can fill out a speaker card.

Brown Act Speaker: I'm not going to fill out a speaker card, sir.

Jeffrey Daar, President of LA City Ethics Commission:  You're out of order.

Brown Act Speaker:  I do not wish to be registered. I do not wish to be followed. I do not wish to be harassed. So I wish to remain anonymous and speak at this Brown Act meeting.

Jeffrey Daar, President of LA City Ethics Commission: Still you need to fill out a speaker card.

Brown Act Speaker:  I do not have to fill out a speaker card.  I do not have to fill out a speaker card to speak at this meeting. No one does.

Jeffrey Daar, President of LA City Ethics Commission: You have no right to be interrupting --

Brown Act Speaker: I'm not interrupting. I want to be recognized to speak on the floor. I've asked to speak. The gentleman says that the next speaker could speak. And I'm the next speaker.

Jeffrey Daar, President of LA City Ethics Commission: Please fill out a speaker card.

Brown Act Speaker: Well, I'm not going to do it. OK. Because I don't have to do it.  And I'm not going to do something that I do not have to do.

It was an old-fashioned high noon standoff at the Ethics Commission. Eventually, a verdict came down..

Smart Speaker:  OK. Thank you. Well, first of all, I just want to say there needs to be a Brown Act clarification. Sir, you can't require people to identify themselves at Brown Act meetings for a variety of reasons. It's just the law. so Renee Stadel the City Attorney needs to take a quick cup of coffee and apologize to Mr. Spindler and cure and correct this.  Because, that's just the law of the land. The reason I could go into later, but we have already spent a lot of time on this.  So... It's probably true that Rick Jacobs who got fined $12,500 for lobbying for the Carpenter union bareback is not a carpenter, though I believe he's something of a wood enthusiast. I would suggest Jacobs be given the full fine of $25,000 based on the egregious conduct that unfolded in Mayor Garcetti's office with LAPD officer Matt Garza...et al....

Eventually, the LAPD officers arrived and the commission finally let the man speak [link to the meeting]. He, made a "dot" on the speaker card, no word if he was forced to do that, or did it voluntarily.

Inaccesible:

From: ERIC PREVEN <[email protected]>