For starters, I am not against using masks and social distancing in large groups who are in otherwise close contacts in indoor, non-poor-ventilated environments.
But also, for starters, I am not in favor of lifestyle, quality of life, and economic chaos over health-related and false narratives that shouldn't be had, and should be absolutely pushed away with both hands and strong resolve.
I've already written, and absolutely stand by my previous Citywatch article opining the worsening social ills and law-and-order/psychologic/psychiatric chaos caused by our longlasting pandemic fears.
I've already written, and absolutely stand by my previous Citywatch article opining the horrible, destructive, and entirely unnecessary overreaction to the Omicron Variant.
In other words, I am entirely "following the science". And, at the risk of sounding arrogant and being an obnoxious braggadocio. Let's review my medically and scientifically-based assertions:
1) For all you, anti-vaxxers, the proof keeps coming out that a vaccination is a whole lot better than intubation. If you hate the concept of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccinations, then take two vaccinations of the old-school Johnson and & Johnson vaccine.
2) The Delta Variant of COVID-19 really SCREWED things up!
3) For all you "follow the science" folks, getting vaccinated the hard way (getting COVID-19) is at least, and perhaps even better, a form of resistance to every doggone variant so far that we've encountered--blood tests for antibodies are key!
4) Getting vaccinated, and getting COVID-19, allows at least 6-8 months of as much protection against the virus...but then a whole lotta folks' immunity drops off.
5) Getting vaccinated or getting COVID-19 protects YOU, but doesn't protect you from spreading the virus to others if you get exposed to it.
6) If you're not confirmed as OK with respect to Vitamin D levels, you're probably LOW in Vitamin D and need to take Vitamin D (at least 1-2000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day).
7) The focus on vaccinated for children age 5-11 might be the LEAST beneficial effort we've pursued for confronting the COVID-19 variants than ever we've done to date. Screw Pfizer--in this case, they're probably silly.
My continuing and keen observations over a now hysteria over the COVID-19 Omicron Variant (which is entirely unlike the grave and vital concerns over the COVID-19 Delta Variant, which was REAL and actually DID yank us back into a very dangerous pandemic) is that this new variant from South Africa has NO business raising fears it's another Delta Variant are as follows:
1) The Omicron Variant is more transmissible, and very likely might NOT respond as well to the current vaccinations we have so far against COVID-19, than what we saw with the Delta Variant. The Omicron Variant might mutate into something of potential concern, but so far it has NOT.
2) The expert from South Africa, and certainly other honest and impartial experts throughout the world, report that the Omicron Variant is NOT going to cause an epidemic, and catching it MIGHT be a natural and fairly painless way to be immune to the entire virus...kind of like getting chickenpox as a child allowing that child to be immune to the chickenpox virus.
3) Scientific and common sense data show that those who "vaccinated the hard way" and who comprise the greatest subset of those who caught the virus might have at least if not greater immunity than those who got vaccinated.
And YES, I am GREATLY concerned about those with ongoing and likely PERMANENT SYMPTOMS from infections from this virus, or who DIED. So cut any garbage conclusions who presume that I consider COVID-19 to be the same as flu, and we were overreacting over the initial outbreak, and frightening Delta Variant that was at least as real a cause for concern.
4) Yet furthermore is the potential opportunity for the Omicron Variant to allow those who caught COVID-19 to avoid further reinfection, and allow those vaccinated to stop severe illness. In other words, those vaccinated through both shots and catching the COVID-19 virus alike to be protected directly and indirectly from this awful virus.
5) So the likely observation that the screaming about the Omicron Variant, UNLIKE the Delta Variant, may at least be overwhelming hysteria, and even manufactured by those authorities who WANT the pandemic to last forever for either political and/or economic gain should be REBUKED, AND NOT HONORED is a very real and reasonably truth one.
6) So the markets hammered by the Omicron Variant (UNLIKE THE DELTA VARIANT, DAMMIT!) provides us with a BUYING OPPORTUNITY rather than a cause for grave concern for anyone who are watching their 401(k), 403(b), IRA, or other investments plummet from this Omicron Variant, which may be the best thing that ever happened to us against all the COVID-19 virus variants.
So, let's really follow the science, shall we?
Let's view the latest variant, the omicron variant. for what it really is...which might be the most positive turn of events we've seen for a long, long time, and might bring a thankful end for planet earth to get over this dreadful pandemic!
(Kenneth S. Alpern, M.D, is a dermatologist who has served in clinics in Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside Counties, and is a proud husband and father to two cherished children and a wonderful wife. He was termed out of the Mar Vista Community Council (MVCC) twice after two stints as a Board member for 9, years and is also a Board member of the Westside Village Homeowners Association. He previously co-chaired the MVCC Outreach, Planning, and Transportation/Infrastructure Committees for 10 years. He was previously co-chair of the CD11 Transportation Advisory Committee, the grassroots Friends of the Green Line (which focused on a Green Line/LAX connection), and the nonprofit Transit Coalition His latest project is his fictional online book entitled The Unforgotten Tales of Middle-Earth and can be reached at Ken.Alpern@MarVista.org. The views expressed in this article are solely those of Dr. Alpern.)