27
Fri, Sep

Tiny Angry People

ERIC PREVEN'S NOTEBOOK

ERIC PREVEN’S NOTEBOOK - For many years, the county has produced meeting transcripts, and next week I’ll dive deeper into this issue. But lately, the quality of these transcripts has deteriorated badly. As Jim Newton of the LA Times once told me, it's usually not something nefarious at the county, just incompetence or bureaucracy. Writers rely on this information, and when it's wildly inaccurate, it hurts. It means having to go back and listen, which can be very painful.

For example, when I checked to see the details of the spat between Supervisors Horvath and Mitchell over ethics on Tuesday, well over "process", I was surprised—there was nothing substantial.

Did Supervisor Mitchell not speak?

Chat GPT:  "The transcript does not include a specific, substantial contribution from Supervisor Mitchell beyond the initial roll call where her vote ("AYE") was recorded for Item 28. It seems that while other supervisors such as Kathryn Barger, Lindsey Horvath, and Hilda Solis voiced their opinions during the discussion about the independent ethics commission, Supervisor Mitchell did not actively engage in the debate or raise any specific concerns in the portion of the transcript provided."

That is a bit Horvathian, here then, is the discussion lightly transcribed which is an onerous "process" so... please do better.

A Public Process:

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  ...How accurate we are when we say an "independent ethics commission?"  Because I don't think the public would deem it independent if they are appointed by us.  And so I know that county counsel has suggested that there is nothing in the measure G ballot language that changes our Charter to truly make the commission independent, as in "independent of us appointing them."  So I just think we are going to need to continue to have the conversation if we are going to call them independent.  If that is not what they are then we should own that in the concept of ethics and honesty and integrity.  Or to figure out whether the measure passes or not how and if we can make them truly independent. I don't know the answer to that but when the public hears independent they think "separate from us" and if we appoint them I don't know that that is what the public would feel is truly independent.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:   And I would say it's an assumption that we would appoint them.  I think the going forward process which is why it was important to me to amend this.  We want to make sure that there is a public process that allows our partners to have that voice as well as members of the public.  The recommendation then is the independence, "the how" it gets comprised then be a subsequent charter amendment.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  Okay.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  So that way it's codified there.  But we need that public process with that input to codify "the how" and I think that's what's intended but we haven't worked all of that out yet, which is why the public process is essential.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:   Which I believe in without question.  And I've been consistent in that.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  Uh-huh.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  I hope you all agree. And so to clarify then, it will take another step. Another charter amendment to clarify how they would be appointed.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  No, the going forward process as I understand it and I want to make sure we're okay - we're on solid ground here - since I know it's on the ballot.  But I want to make sure I'm good to respond.

Inaudible.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:   Okay, thanks.  So, the going forward process would create the opportunity for the public to weigh in on the how.  specifically on the  -- to say it's not appointed by the board also doesn't make sure that it's independent, so I think we really have to work on the substance of that language run, and then make sure that it is codified... which is why the Ethics, the independent ethics commission needs to be... is slated to become finalized by 2026... so we can go back and finalize that language.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell: It would be another charter amendment?

Lindsey P. Horvath according to other Supervisors is on a first-name basis with Pope Francis, the head of the Catholic Church and sovereign of the Vatican City State. Horvath is spearheading the LA26 Ethics Infuriation Games with costly Board expansion.

[No on Measure G is correct]

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  To codify that ... what the public process has determined and how we stand it up going forward.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  Got it, just so everyone is clear then, if Measure G were to pass that does not mean that the next day we would have a full clear plan to get us to an ethics commission. It was going to require another step.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:   The Measure G outlines exact ... what that process would be and requires that it be stood up by 2026.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:   But it would still be a next step

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  (annoyed) Yes, of course, a public process.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  But another vote of the people to define...

Sup. Janice Hahn: Not necessarily [Inaudible]

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell: ...who the appointed authority is? Do you see what I'm saying?

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  If we wanted to codify it in the ways that some public entities have suggested, that we have it as part of the charter we would need to go back to the Charter to codify it, but we need to do -- from my perspective that process still needs to happen which is why I brought forward today's amendment.  Sounds like County Counsel wants to weigh in.

Dawn Harrison, County Counsel:   I mean, I was just going to say that in terms of next steps ... that's why I understand the governance task force is created to look at these things and bring recommendations to this board.  I think there is also included a group that's going to be looking at the charter review --

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:   Please speak into the mic for anyone who is watching  Thanks.

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  The charter commission

Dawn Harrison, County Counsel:  That's right, we'll be reviewing our charter to make recommendations on any future charter changes that this board would want to vote on.

Inaudible:

Sup. Holly J. Mitchell:  Yes, which would be another step.

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair: Yes if you wanted it codified in the charter, yes.

Inaudible:

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  Ok, are there any other questions... seeing none... let's go to the public.

Rob Quan Speaker: Um, Hi, Rob Quan with UnrigLA I live in District 1 and I'm just curious 1, why we're not hearing anybody crowing about getting this report out to the public.   If we are having this conversation about transparency ethics independence why are we not included in these fundamentals of the conversation?  Which seems to be guiding your policy decisions as expressed in this little debate we've had.  I think it' really unfortunate that we are going to be voting on this measure blind.  I'm happy to hear finally the recognition that this commission won't be independent unless we revisit this at the ballot as I suggested.  It's really unfortunate how this whole process has played out, at a minimum we should see this report so we're not having this conversation blind from the public's stance. It just runds counter to everything you've been talking about.  So, I'll leave it there. Thank you.

Moderator: May we have the next participant, Eric Preven.

Smart Speaker:  Yeah, it's Eric Preven from Studio City,  I have a lot of experience with ethics and LA County Ethics from when Don Knabe was in the house with his son Matt Knabe Lobbying directly to him, except that they were pretending that he would never notice, and not allow for example the fact that his son was taking $25,000 a quarter out of the county golf cash registers from American Golf, first Goldman Sachs, then Fortress and Supervisor Solis's buddy Wesley Edens... anyway, Knabe said he was totally independent of that.

Maybe you saw Family Ties...on PBS, featuring a young unhinged watchdog.  Or Matt Hamilton, the Pulitzer prize winner's little documentary that put him on the map.  Me too! No hashtag.   In any case, the county is a very very corrupt place because there is so much money sloshing around and when Mr. Ridley-Thomas and Richard Bruckner were entering an Early Negotiating Agreement with Watt Companies, involving metro and the county, and actively in violation of the holdback on department heads lobbying - Bruckner was the Amy Bodek of the day - nobody did anything.  And guess which firm? Mayer Brown (Edgar Khalatian Harvard-Westlake)...

Nobody did anything but I tried, so Supervisor Hahn is going to name a Bollard for me in front of the Hall of Adimnistration. The District Attorney, by the way, passed it off to the City Attorney's crime division because the violation is a misdemeanor.

Nobody is independent. Everybody sucks up to power!

How could a commission be independent, if you appoint them, and if you don't, then what?  Does your county counsel appoint them?  This is reminiscent of the Richard Drooyan mirage and humiliation, the special counsel who also happened to be attorney-client privileged to the Board. That's not independent.  That's Granbo independent.

I used to have a lot of faith in these ethics commissions, but I am very sorry to say there's really no point - it won't have any teeth. I think we need hyper-transparency and disclosure so reporters and people like us, can access ALL of the information.  And I like the newish practice, where it is announced when you've been taking money from someone who has an item before the board.  That's the kind of thing you don't need a charter amendment for. One better idea: have the Supervisors read into the record themselves the money they've taken, rather than having old Ed Yen do it.  And  Madame Chair, if you like transparency so much, maybe smaller agendas, and ask Mr. Yen to slow 'r down a bit to ... audible.   There's still plenty of time to gum up the transcript.

You don't need a commission to state your best practices... make it a board policy.   Not an expensive series of charter amendments to distract from what a lousy job you are doing.   And when there are real issues -- the feds got Mark Ridley-Thomas. Sheila got away,  but she was the one who knew that Bruckner was over the line, and she punted it to county counsel.

Sheila Kuehl, political mommy of Lindsey P. Horvath and unelected former CEO Sachi Hamai (paid off nicely by Skip Miller!).

Incidentally, where is the Covington Burling report on contracting fraud?  Supervisor Horvath, did you take a lot of money from Soon-Shiong-backed -- Nika?

Sup. Lindsey P. Horvath, chair:  Your time has expired.

The Paul Krekorian Chambers:

Every year, the leaves change, and Wesson Out Of Focus is trotted out while honorees get their spotlight. The cameras at city hall work just fine, but only if you're being honored by a councilmember, or happen to be a Mariachi, a sword swallower, or a dancing dragon in pajamas.  An ordinary Angeleno with concerns? Invisible. It’s a Herb Wesson-era idea, and it needs to go.

John Lee, Staffer B:  May we have our last caller, please?

Pre-Game Show:

From: [email protected]

To: [email protected] , Councilmember John S. Lee, [email protected]

Cc: Holly Wolcott , George Gascón, Councilmember Harris-Dawson, Dawyn Harrison

Wed, Sep 25 at 12:24 PM

You violated my right to speak at the Special meeting.   Why? We will figure out who is behind this.

Eric Preven

Bruckner, Get In Here:  Chron Jan - Feb 2018 -- MRT:Bruckner and Public Integrity.pdf

https://mail.citywatchla.com/los-angeles/10266-council-president-wesson-out-of-focus

(Eric Preven is a longtime community activist and is a contributor to CityWatch.)