Skip to main content

Getting Paid to Vote: So Much Ballot Box Buffoonery

August 18 2014
Written by Ellen Alperstein.

LA OBSERVED-A friend of mine in grade school was a good student who regularly brought home report cards bearing As and Bs. After each term, she'd proudly announce how much she'd made for her efforts -- her parents rewarded her with a dollar for every A and 50 cents for every B. 

Had my family followed that practice, I too would have fattened my pink patent leather wallet. I was a good student too ... if you don't count arithmetic. I told my parents about my friend's scholastic windfall, and asked, "Why don't I get paid for getting As?" 

"Because," my father replied, "you're expected to do well in school. You don't get special rewards for what you're expected to do." 

Even to a kid, that made sense. 

To this adult, what doesn't make sense is the LA Ethics Commission's recommendation to the City Council on how to encourage more people to vote: Pay them. Or, more accurately, woo them into the voting booth with the promise of a payout via lottery whose winners would be composed solely of people who vote. (Read the rest here.)

-cw


{module [862]} {module [662]} 


 

 

 

CityWatch

Vol 12 Issue 67

Pub: Aug 19, 2014

 

 

Get The News In Your Email Inbox Mondays & Thursdays


Featured CityWatch Stories

HOUSING IS A HUMAN RIGHT - Corporate landlords and their high-powered lobbying group, the California Apartment Associat…
HOMELESSNESS - Los Angeles’s homelessness program is in complete disarray, undermined by systemic gridlock, structural…
WESTSIDE - As of September 27, 2026, Karen Bass is in a substantially weaker position than she was entering the June pr…
THE NAVARRO REPORT - Last month, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a $12.5 million settlement over t…
THE WEST BANK - More often than not, I find myself at a loss for words to convey Israel’s genocide in Gaza and the rele…