19
Fri, Apr

DONE and BONC In Full Meltdown and Impose Bylaws on Neighborhood Councils

LOS ANGELES

EASTSIDER--Continuing the theme of lawless imposition, let’s take a look at the total absence of due process, moral authority, and frankly, competence, by DONE and BONC. Looks like Lincoln Heights is ground zero.

We Already Know DONE Destroys Public Records

Way back in 2018, I demonstrated that DONE has destroyed any number of public records without so much as lip service to the California Law

Dear Mayor Garcetti,

On November 16, 2018, I wrote a column for CityWatch entitled, “OMG - City Says BONC is not a Legitimate Commission.”

In case your office has not seen the article, I have attached a hardcopy to this letter. In substance, the issue surrounds a State law which prohibits the destruction of public records, specifically “The minutes, ordinances, or resolutions of the legislative body or of a city board or commission.” (Government Code Sections 3490-34095).

The reason I know such a destruction of records took place is that after making a public records request of BONC, DONE replied to my request with a statement that “The Department has no records prior to 2008, except for one agenda dated January 17, 2006.”

I never got any reply from the Mayor or BONC or DONE.  Surprised?

The NC’s Been DONE and BONC’d on Mandatory Training

The stated rationale for mandatory training on “ethical management of public funds” is to train the Board members as to the rules before they can vote on funds.  And you will note, there is nothing in the website other than a requirement that Board member who does not take the training can’t vote on funding. From the website.

“FUNDING TRAINING FOR NC BOARD MEMBERS & TREASURERS

All Neighborhood Council board members are required to take training on the ethical management of public funds. NC Treasurers and other board members who handle financial transactions for their NC must take additional funding training.

All NC funding-related trainings are conducted by the Office of the City Clerk, who also administers the Neighborhood Council Funding Program. Get the City Clerk’s Funding training schedule on their NC Funding Program webpage.”

On the other hand, there is no reason that they cannot constitute a quorum, deal with land use issues (usually the hot spot for Neighborhood Councils) or take a position on the various stupidities perpetrated by BONC and DONE.

And I must point out that it’s pretty revealing that elected City Councilmembers don’t have to take any training at all before they can vote on funds.  BIG funds. Think PLUM Committee funds. Think Jose Huizar and friends.  Gee, maybe BONC and DONE can help them out, you think?

So it is clear that the only real reason for this stupid  pre-requirement for already toothless Neighborhood Councils is so that DONE can control what they can and cannot spend - most of which is for services that the Charter says the City should pay for in the first place.

Very recently, BONC and DONE proudly doubled down on getting rid of people they don’t like, (oops), I mean, miscreants who don’t take the Training.  Even though they are legitimately elected Board members   It’s called the BONC Board Member Removal Policy.

They could not even provide a legal basis for their asininity, since there is nothing in the Charter, or the Neighborhood Plan, or at law, which allows them to do this.  Other than their evident god given power to ignore reality and set out to be judge and jury over a group of volunteers dim enough to try and actually do their duty to their stakeholders.

In Lincoln Heights, DONE has had the effrontery to send a memo which suspends 4 Board members, with the threat of removal.  Here’s the email in its entirety.  Because it’s important: